Saturday, January 8, 2011

My bad hair day (decade).

Top 40 stations in the 50s-mid 70s distributed survey sheets every week to local record stores (you remember record stores). These listed the top hits the station was playing and usually featured a photo of one of the disc jockeys. Here is a rare survey from KYA, San Francisco in 1974 that featured a young, skinny me with waaaay too much hair. They took this shot on a windy day, which also didn't help. I was hoping they'd take it during thick early morning fog. 

You'll notice that Cleaver is spelled with two e's. That was the station's brilliant idea to protect themselves against a lawsuit. I didn't give a shit. Half my listeners couldn't spell anyway.

Thanks to Classic Top 40 Radio and California Airchecks for the surveys.

No comments:

Post a Comment